Wednesday, April 1, 2009

In the beginning

Well, this is it, I started a blog. Now I need to decide what I want to share. Of course that topic must be the joys of fostering cats.

I'll start in the beginning of my fostering ....

In the fall of '04 I volunteered to foster some kittens. Having never bottled fed babies before, I didn't know what I was getting into but it sounded like a good idea. Fortunately my first "litter" was a surrogate mother and kitten. The mother was at Animal Services and wasn't nursing the baby consistently. So off they came to me so I could supplement the feedings. The baby was a feisty little thing to try to bottle feed and I worried about my skills. Luckily the mother felt comfortable enough to take care of the baby, so my job was to pamper the mother.

Just a few days later I welcomed another litter into the house. They were only a few days old and a litter of four beautiful boys that were found in a storm drain. Unfortunately I learned just how fragile these babies are when I lost the smallest one six days later.


These boys welcomed the bottle far better then Brandy and it was very rewarding to watch them develop into handsome kittens. It is a bitter-sweet time as they are about ready to leave me. I wish them well on their journey as they seek great adventures.


Next came two wonderful little boys.Their mother dried up and stopped nursing. Although they were at least three weeks old they seemed so tiny. I named the yellow kitten Teddy because he is so fuzzy he reminds me of a teddy bear. His brother I call Panda Bear. When they first arrived I thought I would lose them because they were so quiet and took awhile to embrace the bottle . So it is with great joy that I watch these little bears playing.


The last arrivals are a brother and sister that didn't need fostering but needed some room to run. They joined forces with the litter of three and they all took over my bedroom and my heart.

Of course I needed some help every now and then. So "Mama" Meg offered her services.

Although it can be very worrisome when they aren't doing well I have found fostering to be a very rewarding experience. There is a total joy in watching them grow and play having been with them as they were fragile itty bitty things. I hope they will be loved, adored, and cared for all of their lives as they deserve no less. I am their mommy after all and want the best for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment