Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What Was I Thinking?

Two weeks ago I took in a feral/stray mom and her six kittens. I didn't really have room for them, you understand, but they had no where else to go. And they needed to be trapped before the babies became labeled "unadoptable" and more kittens came along.

The kittens are about ten weeks old. Two of them are in my bathroom. Mom is downstairs in a good sized room. In the same room are two good sized cages with two kittens in each, side by side. I needed to be able to work with socializing the kittens. I'm still getting a rejecting hiss most every day, but they are hissing less and less. Plus it's only a few that are still hissing. A few are actually starting to purr a bit. And yes, I know purring doesn't mean they are happy... it's more of a comforting thing. But a purr is nicer then a hiss.

Since they are at the magical weight of 2 lbs. I am feeling some pressure with socializing them. I have socialized a number of kittens before but the way I do it takes more time then I feel these babies can afford. Adoptions have slowed down and many people want kittens to be so tiny.
I never realized that a kitten could smirk before this month. I offer you proof although the smirk doesn't show as well in a photo as it does in person.



I think mom is actually a stray that went feral. She was growling at me when I had her and three of her babies in the small bathroom. Protecting her babies, of course. But otherwise she just watches me. I feel bad however because the only places she can hide in the room aren't much cover for her. I'll have to work on that.
Poor babies, it's just so hard to take all that hissing seriously when they are such cute balls of fur.

1 comment:

  1. It warms my heart to see ferals cared for. Good for you. Deb =^..^=x5 (Canada)

    ReplyDelete