Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Just Call Me A Sanctuary And Be Done With It

I am truly blessed. I rent a good sized house from my parents that has a yard that I fenced in to keep the cats in. While my dad isn't excited about my fostering and rescuing cats my mother has been encouraging. That is until the cats started to go outside in the yard a bit more and my dad realized I have more then just a few. Then he must grumble to my mom about it. Fortunately I live in the county where I can have more then seven critters as long as I can take care of them. I practically direct deposit my check to my veterinarian and the two stores where I get the cats and dogs food know me by name. So hopefully I have that requirement covered.


Six months ago I made the mistake of volunteering at the local Animal Services. A mistake because I just could not walk down the hallway where the cats are without letting a few cats catch my eye as I walked by. Pleading me to bail them out of kitty jail. The local Animal Services is in a shared building with the local Humane society. Although the Humane Society is very good at rescuing the animals from Animal Services for adoption, I noticed three cats that I thought they might not pick up. One was about two and a half months old. A brownish tabby boy that was on the feral side. By the way he was acting in his cubicle I didn't think he was feral. Another was approximately thirteen years old, a calico female. And the third was approximately ten months old, another brown tabby. This girl was friendly, but since she was about ten months old and not ten weeks old I wasn't sure of her fate. You see, the year before I rescued thirteen cats/kittens at the urging of Animal Services. Most of them came straight out of the euthanasia room. So I wanted the benefit of the doubt to tip towards saving this kitten too.

As with the prior group of thirteen cats, it's on the way home that I think.. "okay, now how am I going to house them all?" But in this case I did have a room ready and I thought, "No problem, the two kittens will be adopted lickity split." shortly after they arrived I took photos and then videos. I made posters and put them on my Petfinder account. Then I waited.... and waited... Almost three months later the youngest kitten was adopted. The older kitten has had some interest in her, but she's been here long enough that she doesn't present herself well when someone comes over. She's a lap junkie with me, but I don't tend to have much company come over. And the thirteen year old is in cahoots with the vet to help him lessen my bank account. Wow, this was a real eye opener. Remember I mentioned the local Humane Society is good about taking in the animals at the local Animal Services.... they are also very good about getting them adopted out into loving homes. So good that adopters for the small rescues are getting to be far and few in between. Explain that to my dad. A friend of mine once told me that if you want to have more then one animal be it cat or dog, be sure they are the same coloring so the neighbors think they are looking at the same cat. Works with fathers too until both cats are standing next to each other.

I have three cats that are boarding with me and three cats that I'd like to get adopted. Two more that I'd love to find a foster for. And other then that, I'm good. Just call my happy home a sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment